Sunday 15 April 2018

Square One focus: Zoya

This week's Square One Focus is Zoya, by Celia Norman. It's a fairly straightforward fragment-type tangle, which can be combined and embellished in a number of ways, so it's very versatile. After playing with it in my sketchbook for a while I decided to arrange it as three sets of four squares, diagonally the tile. I also wanted to extend the edges of Zoya beyond the squares, so Mooka seemed the obvious choice.



Having completed it, I couldn't help imagining it with ZenGems embedded in those dark spaces, so I did something I don't normally do and virtually copied the design onto a tan tile, with a couple of variations (I wasn't keen on the Paradox in the black and white version, so that got simplified). The gems are Prismacolour pencils with white gelly roll highlights, and the centre squares are gold gelly roll with Printemps in black micron over the top (not advisable with a nice new pen as it picks up a lot of the gold ink!)


No comments:

Post a Comment